There’s no AC in our house, which is ok. I’ve come up with a pretty ingenious system of opening the house up in the early evening when it starts to cool down, and turning on the overhead fan for some added air movement.
Where I live the temps usually drop at night, so this works. What doesn’t work is coming home after work and cranking up the stove to cook. When I’m trying really hard to keep it pleasant inside, I certainly don’t want any added heat forms happening.
On our lovely hot summer days, I’m a girl who is very grateful for a patio with a grill, some asparagus spears, a pint of strawberries, leftover rotisserie chicken and salad greens. Oh, and an avocado, just because.
I like composed salads. They feel more like a whole meal, while tossed salads appeal more to the side category. Composed salads have beautiful piles of meat, cheese, fruit or vegetables all artfully positioned. Don’t you like the idea of a beautiful pile, but done with purpose? Thought so and tonight’s dinner ended up being exactly that.
Asparagus-Strawberry Chicken Salad
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 lb asparagus
- 2 avocados cut into ½” chunks
- 2 cups rough shredded chicken
- Olive oil for asparagus and salad
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat outdoor grill to high.
- Wash and trim woody ends of asparagus; season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a grill pan and then grill for 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Toss shredded chicken on top to hit it with smoke and heat, about another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Assemble salads: place 2 cups greens on each of 4 plates. Arrange ½ cup berries, 4-5 asparagus spears, ½ of an avocado and ½ cup chicken on top of the greens. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Taste for salt and pepper.
Enjoy! And, Happy Eating –